Monday, May 14, 2007

May's Playlist on Channel 2 Pt. 1


Cerys Matthews - Open Roads
I like the chorus. I woudn't be surprised if this is on the O.C. soundtrack. I just checked. It's not, but I bet you a billion dollars it will be.
Erase Errata - Cruising
Great sound from an all girl trio. I like a couple of songs off of this album.
Hotel Lights - Anatole
This is Darren Jessee's band, the drummer from Ben Folds Five. This is the best song on the album. Skip this album.
Imitation Electric Piano - What We Do We Do

I thought this was Stereolab when I heard it. When I learned more about this band I found out that some members of Stereolab are in the band. There a couple of good songs on this album.
Jeff Alexander - Come Wander With Me
This is from the "Late Night Tales" series of compilations by current bands. This one happens to be from the band "Air." It was also from the "Brown Bunny" soundtrack, so that's probably where they heard it. The song is actually from a "The Twilight Zone" episode of the same name in 1964. I'm a sucker for songs like these.
Kathryn Williams - Sandy L
A beautiful song. Go out and buy this album.
Koop - Koop Islands Blues
The singer does her best Billie Holiday impression. The interesting thing about this band is that the majority of the music is based on samples. Koop, themselves, play piano/accordion (Oscar), sampler (Magnus), and wear dresses.
Laura Gibson - This Is Not The End
Another delicate song with a gentle vocal. I can't have enough of them. The above picture is Laura. I think this is the only good song on the album.
Little Barrie - Yeah We Know You
The guitar work is wonderful. A good summer song. Sadly, the only good song from this album.
Little Birdy - Hollywood
I loved the last album. This album was a big disapointment. The songs on this album didn't have the magic I heard on the last album. This was the only song that I liked.
Loney, Dear - Hold Me
I love the steady, rising, movement of the melody. It starts with the main vocal, then the sparse piano and organ, and then the addition of a choral vocal. Then it slowly goes away.
Mando Diao - Welcome Home Luc Robitaille
It's a decent song.