Sunday, December 7, 2008

Episode 05 - Shoegaze Part 01

This is the beginning of my journey recalling some of my favorite Shoegaze bands and highlighting the bands of the last 5 years that have kept the torch burning. I previously mentioned that I was reaching 50 songs, well I think it's up to 100. I am going to post this series every other podcast so I can continue my favorite selections of 2008. This is going to span well over 6 or so podcasts. I hope you join me in my journey!I am going to highlight the bands that influenced the genre, so I have to start with the obvious choices: The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy and The Cocteau Twins' early ep's.
There have been many albums that have changed my life at first listen: The Stooges - The Stooges, The Smiths - The Queen is dead, Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, The Replacements - Tim, T. Rex - Electric Warrior, Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister, Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque, Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City to name a few. Psychocandy was one of these albums. I picked up the cassette when I was working in a record store because I liked the look of the cover. When I first heard it, I thought there was something wrong with my Walkman. I didn't understand the noise that I was hearing was feedback. I've heard feedback, but not to this extreme. It sounded like The Crystals inside a wind tunnel. I loved it!
I don't remember how I started listening to The Cocteau Twins but I remember getting Blue Bell Knoll on cassette when it was released (1988) and hearing a difference in their sound. It must have been around 1986, I bought all the 4AD imports once I was hooked. I was entranced by E. Fraser's voice and the waves of guitar flowing through my headphones. It was melodic, undeciferable, and I loved it! It was strange when E. Fraser started to make sense. I liked it better when she was singing gibberish, like scat singing, but I still like the songs sung in english.
Most Shoegaze bands follow one of these two dominant paths or a combination of the two: The Jesus and Mary Chain (e.g. Ceremony) sound or The Cocteau Twins (e.g. Slowdive) sound. Listen to the last two songs. There are other influences, but I will talk about that next time. Enjoy!

01 - The Jesus & Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up (Psychocandy 1985)
02 - Cocteau Twins - Lazy Calm (Victorialand 1986)
03 - My Bloody Valentine - Thorn (You Made Me Realise EP 1988)
04 - Pia Fraus - Springsister (After Summer 2008)
05 - Dawn Chorus Ignites - Glimmer (Glimmer EP 2008)
06 - Moose - Boy (Jack EP 1991)
07 - A Place to Bury Strangers - Missing You (A Place to Bury Strangers 2007)
08 - Lush - Downer (Gala 1990)
09 - Skywave - Baby It's Just You (Echodrone 1999)
10 - Pale Saints - She Rides The Waves (Barging Into The Presence Of God 1989)
11 - Kevin Shields - City Girl (Lost In Translation OST 2003)
12 - The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters (Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters 2007)
13 - Guitar - House Full of Time (Blue Skied an' Clear (Slowdive Tribute - VA 2002)
14 - Celestial - Lake Como (Dream On 2007)
15 - Smashing Orange - Any Further, It's Over (Smashing Orange 1991)
16 - Swervedriver - Sandblasted (Raise 1991)
17 - The Radio Dept. - A Window (Pet Grief 2006)
18 - Slowdive - Shine (Holding Our Breath 1991)
19 - Ceremony - Someday (Our Last Goodbye 2005)

Download Episode 05 here.